Sunday, September 25, 2011

Benched

I've taken it easy Benched myself the past few days.  As a recap, last week I had some shin splints throughout my last run, which was Tuesday.

Since then, I've rested, iced, and elevated my feet.  I also took the advice of some redditors, and did some research on merrells and vibram five finger barefoot or minimalist running shoes.  I have to recommend REI for their wonderful help and knowledgable staff.  I had been in an REI before, but only to briefly look at coats and to get gift cards for my brother.  (No, they are not sponsoring my blog or paying me to do this). I tried on several pairs of shoes, and got some advice based on my my arch and how I walk.  In the end, I got this shoe...


I walked for 30 minutes in them on Friday night, and could feel the difference.  I was told to take it easy and get used to the shoe before running (as they are barefoot inspired running shoes and utilize different foot muscles).  I didn't have any pain during the 30 minute walk.  I'm anxious to see how they do when I run.  


I have to insert here that, as a country girl, barefoot running is comfortable.  From birth to age 15 or so, I spent most summers barefoot.  I just don't want to have those calloused feet from barefoot road running.  


I'm also mad at myself, as I forgot to exercise tonight.  I worked all day, came home and started doing some paperwork and completely lost track of time.  I don't want to change my running schedule, so I guess I'm taking an extra day off?  

No comments:

Post a Comment