Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Form

First off, a disclaimer.  I am not being paid by Merrell to endorse their products, nor am I advocating that everyone should do this.   But minimalist shoes are freaking awesome.

I went running for the first time tonight wearing the shoes from this post.  I don't know what I was expecting.  Possibly to have my feet or shins hurt halfway through.  I especially expected my shins to hurt.  I completed my run, with a good time--and here's the kicker-- with no pain. There were a few muscles that were jittery post run (like, when you first start running after not doing so in, oh, forever).  This told me that there were some muscles that hadn't properly gotten worked out in a while. 


I should say that I didn't just change my shoe.  I change my running form.  Researching around told me that my old shin splints were probably due to one of two main problems-  the running shoe and your form.  Who thinks about how they run?  I was never taught how to run; As a child you learn to walk, then you speed that up.  Presto- running.  

Horrible Form all over the place. 
REI has some wonderful tips on running (as well as some hil-arious pictures of a man doing stretches).
"I pity da fool that don't do proper stretches" 
I have to show you this one too. 
Either doing the running man laying down or jammin' to "I believe I can fly" 


Ok, I didn't do those stretches, but I do stretch before I run.  Seriously, the article is worth reading if you're a newbie to running like me.  

I also watched this video and downloaded the Merrell Barefoot Running App --which isn't that great, but links to some good youtube videos. 

Like... 


The part at the beginning is funny, but watch the part about form and where your foot strikes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment