Monday, September 5, 2011

Week One Day One

On Friday, I started my journey with C25K.  It was hell, I'm not going to lie.

I haven't really ran since gym class in high school.  That was around 2001.  I have ran a few times since, like catching my run away pet, or hurring to meet someone.  But running for exercise?  Nope.  I go to the gym at school and use the ellipticals, treadmills, and bike machines but I haven't done the whole running thing.  This is also why I decided to use the C25K system. 

This is how I felt the first day. 



To be honest, I'm sure that one untold part of C25K is that week one is designed to make you humble.  Not only is it a  challenge to begin the process, especially when you're not in shape, but you are alternating running for 60 seconds then walking for 90 seconds.  Basically you look like you can't make your mind on whether to walk or run.  I do my exercise outside on the sidewalks in my small town.  I got some weird looks. 


On day one, I immediately felt horrible right side pain, which only eased in the last five seconds of walking.  About halfway through I felt really tired and wanted to give up.  Not to mention there was a pretty nasty storm blowing in ... 


I pushed through, cooled off, and wondered what the hell I had gotten myself into.  After I caught my breath, got a drink of water, and sat down to drive home, I realized something.  I felt horrible, nauseous and had a terrible headache, but I also had sweat so much my shirt was clinging to my back. I had one of the best workouts that I had in a long time.  The next day, my thigh and hip muscles hurt to no end and I popped advil all day. 


TL, DR:  First day was a success but a painful and trying one.  Thigh and hip muscles hurt like hell the day after and I learned the importance of drinking water and properly stretching.  

Source of first image was found on Reddit 


No comments:

Post a Comment